Arctic News, 13-19 May 2015
- Russia and U.S. Find Common Cause in Arctic Pact
“Some people call this Arctic exceptionalism,” Clive Tesar, the spokesman for the Arctic Program at the World Wildlife Fund, said in a telephone interview. “We can have our disagreements elsewhere, but in the Arctic, we have to cooperate.”
- ‘Paddle in Seattle’ Arctic oil drilling protest
Hundreds protested in Seattle over Shell’s Arctic drilling plans this week.
- U.N. Agency Adopts Polar Code to Prevent Sea Pollution
The rules will regulate waste disposal in the Arctic Ocean.
- Protecting Our Shared Arctic
The Swedish Ambassador to the United States and the U.S. Ambassador to Sweden highlight the importance of Arctic protection.
- Room for Debate: Global Priorities in the Arctic
Various experts share their thoughts on the Arctic Council in this New York Times opinion forum.