Arctic News, 6-12 May 2015
- The debate over offshore Arctic drilling, and what’s at stake
A short primer on the opposing views facing Arctic drilling in Alaska.
- Shell hasn’t earned enough trust to drill in Alaska’s Arctic seas
Lois Epstein argues that Shell isn’t ready to safely drill in the Arctic.
- Polar Code still leaves significant gaps, experts say
Concerns over the International Maritime Organization’s new rules for Arctic transport are mounting, particularly with regards to heavy oil.
- U.S. will allow drilling for oil in Arctic Ocean
On Monday, the White House conditionally approved a request by oil company Shell to begin drilling off the Alaskan coast this summer.
- Maine makes bid to host Arctic Council meeting
The state wants to place itself as a central player in the United States’ Chairmanship.